Thursday, September 13, 2007

Fish On!


Sick of tomatoes yet? I hope not, because not only is it going to be a long, cold winter without them, but you haven't made a couple of killer dishes that have been whipped up at the 50th Avenue Kitchen lately. Last night, with w and I desperately in need of lighter fare, I scoured my cookbooks in search that perfect fish dish, that would also hopefully use up some of my seeming bushels of tomatoes that are taking over my kitchen. Once again I found inspiration and salvation in one of my new favorite resources, Starting With Ingredients by Aliza Green. This is the second spot on recipe from this book I've tried which bodes well for future success. Most of her recipes have very few ingredients, which really allows the flavors of whatever you're using to show through, and of course saves time in the whole hunting-and-gathering thing. Check it out, I'm guessing you'll find something delicious. But first, check out this delectable dish while your local farmers markets are brimming with fresh tomatoes!
********************
Mahi-Mahi with Corn, Tomato, and Red Onion Ragout
From Starting With Ingredients

ingredients
4 (6-8 ounce) mahi-mahi filets
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup olive oil, divided

1 small red onion, diced

1-1/2 cups diced red and yellow tomatoes

kernels from two ears corn
1/4 cup thin strips basil

lime wedges

method

1- sprinkle salt and pepper all over filets. In a large skillet, preferably cast iron or non-stick, heat 3 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat until shimmering, and brown the fillets on both sides. Remove from the pan and keep warm in the oven.

2- Pour off any excess oil, add the remaining one tablespoon oil and the red onion and sauté one or two minutes until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and corn to pan. Sauté until brightly colored but still firm, one or two minutes. Transfer the mixture to a serving platter and top with fish. Serve with lime wedges.

notes: I had a hard time finding mahi-mahi locally, until I happened into our local Whole Foods, who had wild caught, frozen 6 ounce filets that worked perfectly. You could also substitute black cod or halibut. Adjust cooking times accordingly.- BB

2 comments:

Olga said...

sick of tomatoes? never!
This looks like a great dish; and I bet you can also make it with chicken or tilapia.

bb said...

you could do it with just about anything off the grill. and I agree with your "never" comment. they are such a fleeting pleasure