Thursday, January 31, 2008

Success is but a bottle away.......

We're all looking for success. Here at the wine shack (aka VINO) I search the wine world for successful results to my customers drinking endeavors. Maybe it's my niche, but I find it work I enjoy and it's easy to get excited. But as I found out during my quick break last week, apparently there are a lot of travelers who need a little help, a bit of a boost to their workaday morale. It started when I committed the cardinal sin of running out of reading material while relaxing in Mexico. I worked my way through two books and Vanity Fair (guilty pleasure...I admit it) cover to cover. By the time I boarded the plane for home, I was reduced to rifling through the seatback in front of me in a desperate search for something to read. We all know what that means. The literary horror that is the in flight magazine, and of course SkyMall. After paging through the various SkyMall offerings that I hadn't realized would enhance my life...the X5 Hair Laser (below left), the FootSmart Bunion Regulator, a Flying Alarm Clock (below right), and how have I lived without the Million Germ Eliminating Travel Toothbrush Sanitizer...I came across "Successories". You know, those supposedly inspirational posters that say things like "Look within for strength" printed over a picture of a wave breaking on the shore, or "Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise", or my favorite "My boss doesn't think I'm a loser because I have this poster in my office". Okay, I made the last one up, but all I can conclude is that business travelers must be the most depressed, downtrodden, job hating group of people out there. I mean, if you have to resort to buying a poster with some pithy saying and hang it on the wall to get you motivated to work, maybe you should rethink your job requirements. But it has inspired me to start my own line of soul stirring posters: "Drink more, Care less", or "Moderation is for those who fear the unknown", and "An empty bottle is the result of a determined mind". Pretty good, huh? SkyMall here I come!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I buy everything from Sky Maul.

bb said...

sky maul?? how very appropriate for the way my brain felt after looking through that rag.....