Saturday, April 05, 2008

Through suffering comes appreciation....

A person can gain great appreciation through suffering. Take last Sunday for example....









That's me above, early on the snowshoeing trek, in happier times, before I fell over in deep snow and lost a glove while smashing the sandwich that was unfortunately located in my fanny pack in too close proximity to my ass as it hit the snow. And I swear that w was laughing at me and not with me as I was wallowing in the snow trying to get back up. Eventually achieving verticality and continuing on this frozen death march at Old Man Pass only to have......





......w walk away, leaving me behind, tired of hearing my incessant complaints about being hungry and thirsty. But I trudged on, through too deep powder, my snowshoes sinking in a foot or more with every step, finally catching w and begging for understanding. After much eye rolling, she relented, leading me out of the cold and into the warmth of Walking Man Brewing in Stevenson, Washington.......





....where as you can see, I'm thoroughly enjoying my drinking companion. No, not that guy behind me, but the 1/4 barrel of Walking Stick Stout that they were serving cask conditioned right off the bar, an awesome way to deliver malted drinking pleasure. Equilibrium returned, we made our way home where for dinner we had one of my new favorites fish dishes that you might have read about in a previous blog post, Spanish Roast Halibut, which if you haven't tried yet, move this up the list. Adapted from a recipe in Anya von Bremzen's cookbook The New Spanish Table, this was even better than we remembered. A great fish dish that will kill on your dinner table, click on the "Spanish Roast Halibut" link above to get the recipe! A bottle of wine and a full tummy later, I was fairly sure the reward scale had tipped in my favor...at last!

No comments: