Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Oysters: Love and Information

Have I mentioned my deep and abiding respect for all things bivalve-ish? In particular those ruddily shelled delicacies called oysters that go so well with my icy bottle of Sancerre? And if you read this blog you know there's a healthy thirst...hunger?...for more food related knowledge. With this article in today's NY Times "Dining" section, I was able to satisfy two of my most fervent passions, oysters (sadly not eating them, but reading about them), and food knowledge, in less than 10 minutes. A very interesting story about the expanding oyster aquaculture going on around the New York area.

Now living and slurping oysters in the Pacific NW I am perfectly happy with a regular intake of creamy Kumamotos and briny Fanny Bay's, but it was still interesting to find out what is happening elsewhere, because we have our own burgeoning oyster "farming" operations here on the left coast. Bay Center Farms in Washington and Hog Island Oyster Farm in California come to mind. BTW- If you make it out to San Francisco and you're an oyster aficionado, you have to stop at Hog Island's oyster bar if the Ferry Building...mmmm, just thinking about it makes me happy. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to throw a bottle of Loire Valley white in the fridge to chill while I run down to my local mollusk maven to satisfy this sudden need to shuck!

No comments: