Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Thirst is the mother of invention!

I don't know about you, but here in PDX the temp has been holding at an unusually warm 80*+ for days now. Each day, my summer thirst has been building. I've been slaking it with the usual battery of alcoholized thirst quenchers; G&T's, martinis, Campari and soda, etc. Last night I really wanted something different though. Using, as usual, gin as my starting point, I took stock of my personal inventory. Gin? Of course, in abundance. Meyer lemons off of my beloved dwarf ML tree? Check! What to add? Somehow the classic summer cooler the mojito popped into my head. So why not grab some mint off the parking strip (I'm sure no dogs peed on that part.....), muddle it up with a chopped Meyer lemon, maybe add a little simple syrup for that sweet/sour balance, and of course the G-word. The result: bb's Meyer-Mint Mashup, which if I may is now of the best things I've slurped down in quite some time...at least since yesterday's martini. Sitting prettily with a thin slice of lemon, this looked almost as good as it tasted!
*** *** *** *** ***
bb's Meyer-Mint Mashup

serves two (but you'll want more!)

ingredients:
1 Meyer lemon, cut into eighths
8 or so mint sprigs
1 oz simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water brought to a boil until sugar dissolves, then left to cool)
5 oz gin
2 very thin slices of Meyer lemon

method:
Place lemon and mint leaves in the bottom of a mixing glass or cocktail shaker. Muddle vigorously until lemons have released most of their juices. Add syrup, gin, and fill halfway with ice. Shake for 30 seconds and strain into martini glasses, garnish with lemon slice, serve and enjoy!
##### ##### #####
one year ago today @ E.D.T.: wow, how coincidental, a recipe for the Perfect Margarita!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is "muddling vigorously?"

MaryB

bb said...

HI Mary....I put a link to a definition in the post. Basically it is taking a rounded pestle and smushing the ingredients together in the bottom of the glass. Very scientific, response, huh?!